Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Painted Desk



So as I mentioned in my last post, I recently acquired a really cool old desk from my grandparents.  Since it was looking a little beat up, I decided to try my hand at furniture painting.  As an ex-miniaturist and dollhouse renovator, I'm a pretty big fan of the transforming power of paint, but this was my first actual life-size project.

Before picture - isn't it a neat desk?  I just want to hide the chips.
I started off by sanding off the top and ended up scraping off a layer of some shellac-type stuff in the process.  Since I want to use the desk for writing, I made sure to sand the top extra well, but for the rest of the desk, I mostly just sanded enough to rough it up.  I also removed the drawer pulls, which were all this cool warn-off bronze color - definitely holding onto those.

For the next step, I used some powdered soap my dad had for washing walls pre-painting.  After scrubbing it down and wiping it with a clean rinse rag, I used the dry-time to go pick out some paint.  Walmart's Color Place Interior ended up being the cheapest (around $10 for a quart), and I chose a semi-gloss turquoise called Shimmering Summer Pool.

I put on a coat of primer that same evening, and voila, here we are.

Primed and ready.
With our current 100+ degree temps, I painted early the next morning.  Even so, toward the end, the paint was drying as soon as I slapped it on.  Total it took about two hours for two coats, so not too bad.  I've been listening to my new Regina Spektor album, "What We Saw From the Cheap Seats," on loop lately (I'm a little obsessed), so between her and the cat, Bon, keeping me company, it didn't seem to take that long.  The whole project was done in less than 24 hours and I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Time well spent.

Close up of the drawers - aren't the pulls lovely?
There were no real mishaps during the project.  I had to chase kitty Bon off at one point, as she became intent on rubbing all over my sticky, freshly-painted surface.  (Don't worry, after a bit of a sulk, she got over it.)  The color also turned out a bit lighter than I expected.  I'm usually more of a brights than pastels person; as I explained to a friend, "When they turn me loose with paint, it's always gonna be...memorable."  But in this case, I think it'll be a nice change.  And as my friend joked yesterday, "Well, you can always keep it and reuse it in a baby room one day."



No comments:

Post a Comment